Central Connecticut State University




Registration, Tuition, and Fees

A student admitted to a graduate program at Central Connecticut State University may attend the University full time or part time. Graduate students are permitted to change from full-time to part-time status (and vice versa) on a semester-by-semester basis while they complete degree requirements. Full-time students who plan to change their status must contact the Enrollment Center/Office of Continuing Education or the Registrar’s to avoid billing problems.

Graduate students should be registered every fall and spring semester. During fall and spring semesters in which no course work is taken, matriculated graduate students involved in completing Theses (Plan A), Comprehensive Examinations (Plan B), or Special Projects (Plan C or E) must pay a Continuing Registration Fee of $40. This allows students continued access to computer facilities, the library, parking and the faculty.

A matriculated graduate student who fails to pay the Continuing Registration Fee for the Capstone Plan A, B, C, or E will be withdrawn and lose his/her matriculation status. Matriculated graduate students withdrawn for this reason will have to re-apply and pay a Re-enrollment Fee of $50 to regain their matriculation. The length of time to obtain a graduate degree will remain at six years from initial acceptance.

The cost of graduate study at Central Connecticut State University depends on whether the student registers full time or part time. In addition, costs may vary depending on Connecticut residency and on certain other categories of attendance. Full-time graduate students who receive appointments as graduate assistants pay tuition but receive a waiver for certain other fees.

Connecticut Resident Status. Connecticut resident status is defined by Public Act 74-474 as explained in the Application for Graduate Study. To request a change of resident status, the student must contact the University’s Registrar and supply all necessary documentation. Until such time as a determination of Connecticut residency can be made, the applicant will be classified as an out-of-state resident. Failure of any student to disclose fully and accurately the facts related to residence in the state may result in dismissal from graduate study.

New England Regional Student Program. Central Connecticut State University is a participant in the New England Regional Student Program. This arrangement offers residents of the other New England states the opportunity to enroll at Central Connecticut State for programs unavailable in their home state at the Connecticut resident tuition and state university fee rate plus a surcharge. Other fees are also required. Similarly, state residents may avail themselves of programs offered by schools in other New England states not available at public institutions within Connecticut.

For further information about the programs available through the New England Regional Student Program contact the New England Board of Higher Education, 45 Temple Place, Boston, MA 02111 (617) 357-9620; Web site: www.nebhe.org  — or contact the Office of Recruitment and Admissions, Davidson Hall, Room 115, at (860) 832-CCSU (2278).

Full-Time Student Status. A graduate student who registers for nine credits or more is considered a full-time student for tuition purposes.

Full-time graduate students are charged the tuition and fees established by the Board of Trustees of the Connecticut State University. New students register in the Enrollment Center/Office of Continuing Education or online through CentralPipeline. Continuing full-time students receive information in the mail about registration and related procedures conducted by the University Registrar.

Full-time students who fall below the nine credit minimum course load, required to maintain full-time status, must change their status to part-time. Part-time charges will replace full-time charges and any money that has been paid will be transferred to the new charges. Any excess payment will be refunded according to University refund policies. Please note that those enrolling as full-time students may not withdraw from the University as part-time students during the first week of University-wide classes, without incurring the 40% penalty.

Part-Time Student Status. A student who enrolls in eight or fewer credits is considered a part-time student. Part-time students must register and pay fees through the Enrollment Center/Office of Continuing Education. Students who have not filed a planned program may need to consult with a faculty advisor prior to registration.
Part-time graduate students are charged a fixed rate per credit. Part-time students are also charged a $62 Registration Fee which gives them access to various University services and facilities, including the Student Center, the University library and student parking.

Summer and Winter Sessions. Summer and Winter Session registration is conducted by the Enrollment Center/Office of Continuing Education for all graduate students. The Summer Session Bulletin and the Winter Session Bulletin are available from the Enrollment Center/Office of Continuing Education. Summer and Winter Session fees are the same as part-time fees during regular academic semesters. The University permits a maximum registration of seven credits during each five-week Summer Session. During Winter Session, students may enroll in up to four credits of academic course work.

Tuition and fees are subject to change at any time without notice by action of the Connecticut State University Board of Trustees. The per semester costs for 2006–07 of tuition and fees charged to full-time graduate students (nine or more credits of courses) are as follows.

Resident resident

Tuition $1,985.00 $5,530.50
State University Fee $410.00 $1,007.00
General Fee $1,036.00 $1,036.00
Student Activity Fee $37.00 $37.00
Technology Fee
$111.50 $111.50

Sickness Insurance. A sickness insurance fee of $312.00 for the fall 2006 semester and $313.00 for the spring 2007 semester is required of all students who do not submit an on-line waiver form through CentralPipeline.

Total Tuition and other required fees
Fall $3,270.00 $7,011.00
Spring $3,270.00 $7,011.00

The 2006–07 fees charged to part-time graduate students are as follows. These fees are subject to change without notice.
Registration Fee $62.00
Courses numbered 099–699 $380.00
(per credit)
Doctoral students—courses $525.00
numbered 099–799 (per credit)
M.S. Data Mining courses $450.00
(per credit)

Depending on student status and/or course selections, other fees will be charged to students as follows:
Applied Music Fee (1/2 hour) $200.00
Applied Music Fee (1 hour) $400.00
Audit Fees (same as for credit-bearing courses)
Coop Fee $200.00
Design Lab Fee $65.00
Excess Credit Fee (over 18) (per credit) $380.00
Online Course Fee $50.00
Re-Registration Fee $100.00

On-Campus Room and Meals. Very limited on-campus graduate student housing is available for international graduate students. Off-campus residents may participate in the meal plan which is required for all students living in the campus residence halls.
Room Deposit (applied to room rates) $250.00
Residence Hall Room Balance Per Semester
Standard $2,246.00
James Hall 2,689.00

Meal Plan (required of on-campus residence hall students):
A. 19 Meals/week/semester &
10 Guest Meals $1,699.00
B. 220 Meals/semester &
10 Guest Meals $1,623.00
C. 180 Meals/semester &
10 Guest Meals plus
$100 Blue Chip $1,657.00
D. 150 Meals/semester &
10 Guest Meals plus
$200 Blue Chip $1,735.00
E. 120 Meals/semester plus
$250 Blue Chip $1,780.00

Commuter Meal Plan Fees (optional):
100 meals/semester $530.00
75 meals/semester $424.00

All graduate students accepted for full-time study must pay a non-refundable $200 Graduate Confirmation Deposit which secures a place at the University. This fee is later applied towards the full-time tuition/fees.
Tuition and fees are due by July 15 for fall semester and December 15 for spring semester.
Central Connecticut State University settles all accounts in United States dollars, and does not assume any liability for losses that may result from foreign exchange rate differences under any circumstances. Central Connecticut State University’s liability in the event of an error to a student’s account is limited to the correction of the error in United States dollars.

Penalties. The University will assess a Late Charge of $50 if payment is received after the due date. A Service Charge of $50 will be assessed for checks returned as non-negotiable. Registration materials and transcripts may be withheld for any student who has an unpaid financial obligation.

All full-time students who have paid tuition and fees but wish to withdraw from Central Connecticut State University must do so through the University Registrar (Davidson Hall 115). Refunds to eligible full-time students are processed by the cashier (Davidson Hall, second floor).

Full-time graduate students who have not registered for classes at the University and have not paid tuition or fees, but who have been accepted for a graduate program should notify the Registrar’s Office (Davidson Hall 115) if they wish to change their full-time status.

Prior to the first day of classes, students who are ineligible to continue because of grades or because of other actions by the University are entitled to a refund of tuition and fees as applicable.

All applicable refunds are automatic upon formal withdrawal from the University and will be granted according to the following schedule:
Confirmation Deposit Fee: Non-refundable
Housing Deposit: Non-refundable
Balance of Housing Fee:
Upon withdrawal from the University,
100% of the balance refunded prior to
the second day of classes
60% of the balance during the first
two weeks of classes
40% of the balance during the third
and fourth week of classes
No refund after the fourth week.
Students cancelling their room reservation within the four weeks prior to the start of classes, but who remain students, will be subject to a cancellation charge.

Meal Fee:
Refundable upon withdrawal at a
prorated basis
Balance of Tuition and Fees:
Upon withdrawal from the University,
100% of the balance refunded prior to
the second day of classes
60% of the balance during the first
two weeks of classes
40% of the balance during the third
and fourth week of classes
No refund after the fourth week.


Part-time graduate students go to the Enrollment Center/Office of Continuing Education (Willard Hall) to process withdrawals from the University for all scheduled courses and refund requests. Upon written request to the Enrollment Center, a refund of course fees for the semester will be made according to the following schedule.

If the Enrollment Center/Office of continuing Education cancels a course, students are notified by mail. A refund of the course fees and registration fee will be processed upon return of the written notification of cancellation.

Courses meeting for a full semester:
100% of course fee through the first week of classes
50% of course fee through the second and third weeks of classes
No refund after the third week of classes.
Courses meeting for eight weeks:
100% of course fee through the first week of classes
50% of course fee through the second week of classes
No refund after the second week of classes.
Courses meeting for fewer than eight weeks:
Please consult the Continuing Education
Registration Bulletin for refund dates.
Note: The registration fee is non-refundable.

Please allow approximately 2 to 3 weeks for processing of refund checks. Credit card adjustments are applied to the cardholder’s account.

The University will waive the tuition and certain other fees on a space-available basis for persons age 62 or older who have been formally admitted to a graduate program and register.

Veterans. Veterans and certain others may qualify for veterans assistance programs, including waivers. Eligible students should consult the Office of Veterans Affairs (Willard Hall 133). Anyone seeking to receive veterans benefits must be formally admitted to a graduate program and enrolled in courses required within the planned program of graduate study.

CENTRAL Payment Plan (CPP)
The CENTRAL Payment Plan is an alternative to the standard semester one payment of tuition, fees, room and meals. This plan is available to full-time students only. The CPP is an installment payment plan that allows CCSU charges to be paid in four installments per semester. Fall semester installment payments are made in four installments, beginning July 15 and ending on October 15. Spring semester installment payments begin December 15 and end on March 15.
There is an enrollment fee for this service but no interest charge. The fee is $30 per semester. Full-time students desiring to be enrolled in the CPP may complete the Enrollment Form on the third page of the electronic billing statement.
All questions concerning the CPP should be directed to the CCSU Bursar’s Office, located in Memorial Hall 104, at 832-2010. Office hours are Monday–Thursday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Each student at the University has the opportunity to establish a campus debit card account, called a “Blue Chip” account. This account is associated with the student’s campus identification card (CCSU Blue Chip Card). Photo identification cards are mandatory for all full- and part-time students, faculty, and staff. The CCSU Card Office manages the photo ID system and Blue Chip accounts and is located in the Student Center, Room 106 (inside the Bookstore).

The Blue Chip Card also is used as a campus debit card. A student may use funds on deposit to make purchases with the Blue Chip Card at Memorial Hall cafeterias, Student Center dining areas, campus Barnes and Noble Bookstore, all campus vending machines, public-access copiers, MicroLab printers, and residence hall laundry machines, as well as at many off-campus vendor and food locations. Students may deposit money to their Blue Chip account over the Internet with a credit card or in person at the Card Office or at any one of five Card Value Centers located throughout the campus (Burritt Library, Marcus White MicroLab, Student Center, Sheridan Residence dorm, and Campus Police Station, which is open 24 hours a day). The Card Office and Bursar’s Office accept cash and checks.

The University has an agreement with Achieve Financial Credit Union to provide banking accounts that allow the Blue Chip Card to be utilized as an ATM card. They offer several free services from Savings and Checking as well as several types of loans.  Once an account is opened the Blue Chip Card can be activated as an ATM card which can be used world wide.  Students receiving financial aid may choose to have excess financial aid electronically deposited to their account.  In addition, faculty, students, and staff may have any paychecks direct deposited to their accounts.  Achieve Financial Credit Union has 5 branches, one of which is conveniently located on the CCSU campus in the Student Center within the Bookstore.  For more information you may visit www.AchieveFinancialcu.com <http://www.achievefinancialcu.com/>  or call us at 860-828-2790, 888-242-2600 (outside calling area).

Questions concerning Blue Chip Cards and accounts, or the credit union’s banking program, may be directed to the Card Office. Card Office hours during the fall and spring semesters are Monday through Wednesday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Thursday from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m., and Friday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. The phone number is 832-2140; or visit the website at www.cardoffice.ccsu.edu.

Lost or stolen cards should be reported to the Card Office, or to the Police Department (832-2375) after Card Office hours. A temporary ID will be issued and the Blue Chip account will be placed on hold until a new Blue Chip Card is issued.

Some students receiving financial aid may have difficulty purchasing books at the start of the semester since financial aid funds are normally distributed after the first three weeks of classes. Full-time students receiving financial aid, where the amount of the financial aid exceeds all CCSU charges, are eligible to receive a book advance against this excess aid amount beginning 10 days prior to the first day of classes. Book Advance Request forms are available at the Bursar’s Office. Such advances are deposited into the student’s Blue Chip debit account, and the student’s Blue Chip Card may be used to make book (CCSU Barnes & Noble Bookstore) or other incidental purchases on campus. The only distribution method for book advances is an electronic deposit to the Blue Chip account. No cash or checks are distributed as advances. Questions concerning book advances should be directed to the Bursar’s Office, Room 104, Memorial Hall, phone 832-2010.


Registration & Fees TOC | Grad Catalog Home

1615 Stanley Street, New Britain, CT 06050  860.832.CCSU or toll free instate 1-888-733-2278

Copyright © 2006 [Central Connecticut State University]. All rights reserved.
Last Update: Thursday October 15, 2009