Purpose of Award: The excellence in Teaching Award has been designed to recognize the importance of good teaching at CCSU. Professors will be judged by excellence in classroom teaching, rapport with students; encouragement of independent thinking; positive attitude toward students and student advisement.
Selection will be based on evidence of excellence in all of these areas on a continuing basis, not merely an isolated brilliant performance.
1. Knowledge of discipline.
2. Commitment to the intellectual development of students in part through understanding of the subject and developing constructive attitudes in students.
3. Originality and creativity in teaching styles and techniques.
4. Ability to secure the respect and confidence of both students and colleagues.
5. Ability to inspire students through rigor in intellectual endeavors, personal integrity and contagious enthusiasm.
Criteria for Eligibility
1. Any member of the university faculty currently in his or her third or subsequent year of full-time service at CCSU.
2. Nominees must be named by at least two of the four categories of the academic community as follows: students, alumni, faculty, and administration/staff.
3. Nominee may not be a previous Excellence in Teaching Award winner.
4. If an eligible nominee wishes to be considered he/she must be willing to submit materials requested by the selection committee.