spacer spacer spacer spacer spacer spacer spacer spacer spacer spacer



Who is eligible to receive CASD services?
Current and potential CCSU students who have experienced academic and/or personal challenges as a result of a diagnosed or undiagnosed mental illness and/or substance use disorder qualify for services.  In order to be eligible for college admission, individuals must also have a high school diploma or GED.

Is this service available at other colleges/universities?
While academic institutions offer a variety of services and supports to students with disabilities, CASD is very unique and is not currently available elsewhere.   

Am I required to disclose my disability upon receiving services?
No.  In fact, aside from basic contact information very little information is requested by the Project Coordinator.  Disability documentation is however required by law upon a student's request for ADA accommodations.  

What is the ADA?
The Americans with Disability Act of 1990 is a civil rights guarantee that provides protection from discrimination for individuals on the basis of a disability.  Public institutions such as CCSU are covered under Title II, and the federal law impacts the treatment of college students with qualifying disabilities.  For more information, please review the online, CCSU Student Manual which is also available at the Office of Special Student Services, Willard Hall, Room 100.  

If I use these services, will it be indicated on my education record, my transcript or my diploma?  
No.  Information on students who use CASD is confidential.  It is not shared with other departments unless formally requested by the student.  

Does CASD cover the cost of tuition and registration fees?
No.  However, the Project Coordinator is familiar with the various funding options and will work diligently with the student to locate adequate funds.  

What CCSU degrees/programs are available to CASD participants?
CASD serves individuals in all academic programs that CCSU offers.  For a complete list, please return to CCSU Home and click on Academics.  CASD participants can attend part-time or full-time, undergraduate or graduate, matriculated or non-matriculated.   

I defaulted on a college loan.  Can CASD still help me locate funding to return to college?
Yes.  Generally, defaulted student loans do pose a challenge.  However, there are usually ways to resolve the debt and/or work around it so that you can return to college.  Don't let this stop you from trying. 

How do I begin receiving services?
Individuals who are interested in receiving services and/or learning more about CASD are encouraged to contact the Project Coordinator for a confidential consultation.  

How do I go about finding a therapist?
Individuals who are interested in seeking a long term therapist in the community are encouraged to begin by reviewing a provider list from one's health insurance carrier.  The CASD Project Coordinator as well as CCSU's Prevention and Counseling Office can assist in the process of narrowing down the choices.  Additionally, there are a few questions one might ask a prospective therapist to determine a good match.  They are as follows:

  • Do you accept ______ insurance plan(s)?  

  • Are you accepting new patients at this time?

  • What is your availability during the week, evenings, weekends, and during a crisis?

  • Where are you located?

  • What are your credentials?  (i.e., Ph.D., LCSW, APRN)

  • Where did you receive your training?

  • How long have you been a practicing psychotherapist?

  • What are your specialties or areas of expertise?  (i.e., trauma, substance abuse, eating disorders)

  • What is your style/orientation of therapy?

Compiled in the Spring 2002



This site was last modified on Thursday, April 10, 2008