Sixth-Year Certificate in Educational Leadership
This program is designed to prepare graduates to serve in administrative roles within public and private school organizations. Successful graduates will be eligible for certification as an intermediate administrator/supervisor.
Program Learning Outcomes:
Students in the program are expected to:
- understand how learning occurs and how people process information, acquire skills, and develop thoughtful inquiring minds;
- apply change theory to create continuous organizational renewal processes;
- use a variety of approaches to assess student learning, teacher development, parent satisfaction, and organizational effectiveness;
- be able to collaborate with colleagues, parents, and local business and social organizations to create optimum learning environments; and
- understand the legal, ethical, and policy environments of their work as school administrators.
Admission to this program is limited and highly competitive. The department accepts applications for spring and fall semesters only. All application and supporting materials for admission to the program must be received by April 1 for students taking EDL 590 in the summer and November 1 for students taking EDL 590 in the spring. Admission to the Sixth-Year Certificate program will be based on the following criteria:
- Possess a master's degree from a regionally accredited institution of higher education
- Attained a 3.00 minimum post-baccalaureate cumulative grade-point average (GPA) on a four-point scale or its equivalent
- Have a minimum of three years of teaching experience and possess, or be eligible for, a Connecticut teaching certificate (Students who do not hold an educator's certificate issued by the Connecticut State Department of Education must also pass Praxis I)
- Two letters of reference from school administrators
- A formal essay which has two focus points (1) the reasons that led the candidate to the area of school leadership, and (2) future career goals
Interviews will be held in November/December and April/May. Decisions will be communicated to applicants by the end of the current semester.
|The Sixth-Year Certificate in Educational Leadership, including recommendation for certification for the Intermediate Administrator/Supervisor,requires 30 credits.|
|Requirements include completion of 27 credits of professional core and 3 credits of advisor-approved electives.|
|Professional Core (27 credits):|
|EDL 590||Leaders as Learners: Educational Leadership and Self-Assessment||3|
|EDL 605||Leadership in Teaching and Learning I||3|
|EDL 606||Leadership in Teaching and Learning II||3|
|EDL 610||School Leadership I||3|
|EDL 611||School Leadership II||3|
|EDL 615||Understanding External Environments of School Leadership I||3|
|EDL 616||Understanding External Environments of School Leadership II||3|
|EDL 688||Administrative Programs for Diverse Learners I||1|
|EDL 689||Administrative Programs for Diverse Learners II||1|
|EDL 690||Internship in Educational Leadership I||2|
|EDL 691||Internship in Educational Leadership II||2|
|Electives||(3 credits of advisor-approved electives)|
Note: To receive certification, students must also pass a performance-based examination administered by the State of Connecticut. The State of Connecticut also requires 50 months of teaching experience prior to licensure and completion of a designated course in special education, which may be used as part of the elective requirements.