Undergraduate Catalog header

Special Students
Academically qualified students with special needs are encouraged to apply to the University early. Applicants seeking admission to the fall term should submit applications and supporting credentials by April 1. Applicants for the spring term should submit applications and supporting credentials by November 1.

Students with special needs are advised to register for the SAT under the program entitled “SAT Services for Students with Disabilities.” Information pertaining to this program may be obtained by contacting: SAT Services for Students with Disabilities, The College Board, P.O. Box 6226, Princeton, New Jersey 08541-6226. Phone: 609-771-7137; TTY: 609-882-4118; fax: 609-771-7944; e-mail: sat.ssd@ets.org.

Upon acceptance, students with special needs requesting accommodation under ADA/504 must submit relevant documentation to substantiate their disability directly to the Special Student Services Office. Students with specific learning disabilities and attention deficit disorders need to submit psycho-educational evaluations directly to the Special Student Services Office.

For additional information, contact Dr. George Tenney, director of Special Student Services (Willard Hall, Room 100) at 832-1955 or 832-1957.

Courses for Qualified High School Students
When space is available, Central Connecticut State University will allow qualified high school students to enroll in college courses prior to graduation from high school. Students should be recommended by their high school principal and approved by a CCSU department chair for appropriate college course work. For information on enrollment, contact the Office of Continuing Education/ Enrollment Center (832-2256).

Transfer Student Admissions
Transfer students should send applications directly to the Office of Admissions. A student wishing to transfer to Central Connecticut State from another institution of higher learning must complete an application for admission and have official transcripts sent directly from each high school and post-secondary school attended. Hand-carried transcripts and transcripts sent by students are considered unofficial, even when they carry the college seal or signatures that are placed on official records. Failure to list all institutions or to provide official transcripts may be considered sufficient reason for refusal of admission or dismissal from the University. Transfer credit may not be awarded at any time for course work not listed or not included on official transcripts provided as part of a completed application. Any applicant who has completed 12 or more credits (not including remedial course work) at a regionally accredited post secondary institution will be considered for admission as a transfer student.

Transfer students who have earned a minimum of 12 credits (not including remedial course work) at regionally accredited post secondary institutions need not present SAT I scores. To be considered for transfer admissions, an applicant must have earned a minimum of 12 credits, not including remedial work, and have a cumulative college grade point average of 2.00 or higher for all course work attempted.

Connecticut Community Technical College Transfers
All graduates from transfer programs of the Community Technical Colleges of Connecticut who have earned an associate’s degree with a minimum 2.00 GPA (cumulative grade point average) are admissible to Central Connecticut State University. Transfer credits will count toward degree requirements as determined by equivalency to CCSU courses. A minimum of two additional years of full-time study is required to complete a baccalaureate degree. Qualified students may also be admitted prior to conferral of the associate’s degree.

Transfer applicants holding the associate’s degree from the Board of State Academic Awards (Charter Oak State College) are also admissible to CCSU.

Students considering transferring to CCSU in the second semester are advised to apply well in advance of the date on which classes begin.

International Student Admissions
International students should complete the Application for International Undergraduate Admission, which may be obtained from the Office of Admissions. A prospective student should submit the completed application, the non-refundable application fee and all required supporting credentials by the following deadlines. Fall (August – December) semester candidates should submit applications by April 1; students applying for the spring (January – May) semester should apply by November 1. All credentials submitted by the applicant become part of the student’s permanent CCSU file and are not returned.

Applicants must submit official copies of their secondary and post-secondary educational records. If records are in a language other than English, official translations must be submitted as well. Applicants whose native language is not English are required to demonstrate their proficiency in English by submitting a Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) test score of at least 500. Information on the TOEFL may be obtained from Educational Testing Services, P.O. Box 6151, Princeton, NJ 08541-6151, USA, telephone (609) 771-7243 or 771-7100. Finally, applicants must submit evidence of financial resources adequate for all expenses during the period of undergraduate study. When all the necessary information has been received, the applicant will be notified by mail of the decision. (Please see catalog section “Transfer Credit Evaluation” for additional information.)

If accepted, international students must also submit a medical history form and parental consent for medical treatment. CCSU’s George R. Muirhead Center for International Education is available to help international students while at CCSU. Contact the George R. Muirhead Center for International Education, Barnard Hall, Room 138 (832-2040), fax (860) 832-2047.

CCSU is authorized under federal law to enroll non-immigrant alien students.

Transfer Credit Evaluation
The evaluation of official transcripts is done after a student has been accepted. This Transfer Credit Evaluation will convert other systems to semester hours and indicate the number of previously earned credits which are acceptable for transfer to Central Connecticut State University. In general, credits from other regionally accredited colleges and universities will transfer, provided that the courses are similar in scope and content to those offered for credit at CCSU and a grade of “C-” or better was earned in the course. Specific questions concerning transfer evaluations should be addressed to the Office of Admissions. Please note, regardless of the number of credits transferred, a student must complete a minimum of 45 credits at CCSU in order to earn the University’s bachelor’s degree (see Academic Standards and Regulations: Residence Requirements for Degree). Students currently enrolled in another college should have their official final transcripts submitted to the Office of Admissions after their grades have been posted so that their evaluation can be updated. Failure to indicate completed coursework and to provide official transcript thereof may result in CCSU refusal to award transfer credit. Transferring students are responsible for submitting course descriptions, if requested.

Credit by Examination: A student may earn up to 30 credits at CCSU by examination. Departmentally approved Subject Examinations from the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) of the College Board, or from any other nationally recognized standardized examination program, will be recognized by CCSU. Official results of such examinations should be submitted for consideration.

Credit for Armed Forces: Credit may also be awarded for military service schools and/or United States Armed Forces Institute (USAFI) credit courses (taken after 1945) if validated by a certified USAFI Center. Students seeking to earn transfer credit for their military education should contact www.acenet.edu to request an official transcript be sent to our Office of Recruitment and Admissions.

Evaluation of Work Done Outside the United States: Credit may be awarded for work completed at institutions outside the United States. Students are responsible for submitting international transcripts to an evaluating agency recognized by the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES; www.naces.org/). After the Office of Admissions has received the agency’s evaluation, it will assess the agency’s recommendations to determine accreditation and transferability of credit. A minimum grade of “C-” must be earned for a course to transfer.

Students who are seeking admission to the Professional Program in Education (B.S. or Post-Baccalaureate teacher certification) should have as part of their admission file an evaluation of their foreign credentials by one of the following agencies:

Center for Educational Documentation
P.O. Box 326
Boston, MA 02130
Phone: 617-522-4738

Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc.
P.O. Box 92970
Milwaukee, WI 53202-0970
Phone: 414-289-3400

World Education Services
Bowling Green Station
P.O. Box 5087
New York, NY 10274-5087


Last modified:Wednesday July 19, 2006