News and Events
- Michael Lacey, editor of the Helix, says they will be holding meetings on Thursday afternoons and they welcome new members. Please e-mail Mike with details at Michael.firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Kelly McSherry published several stories in CCSU’s The Courier, the official newsletter for university.
- The following Creative Nonfiction Advanced Workshop students created a 50-page, four-color magazine that honors CT Gold Star families, which lost a son in Vietnam: Lisa Costa, Melissa Flanagan, Heidi Eilenberger, Nikki Sambitsky, Kira Holmes, Lauren Remetta, Brian Burghoff, Evan Tingey, Christina Boyne, and Katherine Wood. Professor Collins raised $4000 in individual cash donations, a $5000 grant from the Trumbull Rotary Club and $1500 from various supportive offices here at CCSU. The money will pay for the publication of 1500 to 2000 copies of the magazine as well as a large panel exhibit that will travel the state to commemorate the 50th Anniversary of the Vietnam War.
- Poetry Professor Ravi Shankar reports that Joe Clifford (’05) new novel Lamentation is coming out as an e-book and the hardcover will soon follow. Joe has received some terrific reviews, including a star in Publisher’s Weekly. Check it out: https://www.netgallery.com/catalog.show/id/49111
- Molly Horan (’12) will be teaching writing at Fordham University this fall.
- Fiction Professor Tom Hazuka edited a humor folio of flash literature for Drunken Boat, September 2014 edition. He also published some flash fiction in New Flash Fiction Review and Santa Fe Literary Journal.
- Nonfiction Associate Professor Mary Collins will be giving a reading from a new series of essays on Monday, November 3 at the UCONN bookstore as part of the Roaring Reading Series.
- Visiting Professor Leslie McGrath once again has the cover story in The Writer’s Chronicle on the violence in poet Ai’s work.
- Poetry Professor Ravi Shankar has poems forthcoming in IMAGE: Art, Faith & Mystery, the Antioch Review and NYU University Press’ Books That Cook the Making of a Literary Meal. He will be a guest performer at the Annual Rosario International Poetry Festival in Argentina in September.
- Wednesday, September 24, 12:15
Professor Barry Leeds will read from his new memoir, A Moveable Beast, on at the CCSU Bookstore as part of the Central Authors Series.
- Wednesday, October 29 at 12:15
Visiting Professor Leslie McGrath Taylor will read from two of her recent publications, By the Windpipe and Out From the Pleiades, on in the CCSU Bookstore.
Click here for the full Central Authors schedule.
- Tuesday, November 4th, 6:00 p.m.
Acclaimed poet and memoirist Brian Turner is the Connecticut Poetry Circuit poet this year and will be performing his work at Marcus White Living Room, in an event free and open to the public