CCSU Faculty Senate
Minutes—April 12, 2010
VAC 105 3:00 PM
Note: Senate Constitution, Bylaws, Meeting Dates, Agenda and Minutes are posted on the CCSU Pipeline under Faculty Resources/Faculty Senate.
Next Meeting of the Faculty Senate is on April 26, 2010, 3pm, Vance.
Present: Alewitz, M., Al-Masoud, N., Ayalon, A., Barr, B., Barrington, C., Bernstein, S., Best, F., Bigelow, L., Bigley, M.P., Button, C., Calvert, J., Cohen, S., Crespi, C., Czyrnik, K., D’Addio, D., Dobler, E., Dziuda, D., Eustis, K., Glagovich, N., Hermes, K., Hicks, L., Horan, M., Iglesias, E., Jarmoszko, T., Kapper, M., Karpuk, P., Koh, K., Larsen, K., Latour, F., Leake, M., Love, K., Mamed, O., McCleary, B., Mendez-Mendez, S., Mione, T., Mitchell, M., Mulrooney, J., O’Connor, J., Osoba, B., Park, M., Pirog, K., Poppe, K., Ratansi, S., Sanders, D., Sarisley, E., Sianez, D., Strickland, A., Tomoda, S., Wang, W., Warshauer, M., Wood, R., Wright, E.
Ex-Officio: Sakofs, M., Pease, S., Kremens, Z.
Parliamentarian: Dimmick, C.
Guests: Jones, J., Spector, D., Beck, M., Wagner, N., Vogeler, R., Pozorski, A.
a. AAUP President (J. Jones)
- No report.
b. SUOAF-AFSCME President (F. Bonvicini)
- No report.
c. President of the Senate (C. Barrington)
- President Barrington made the following announcements:
- Each department needs to forward its DEC membership to its respective dean and the Provost by Friday, April 16, 2010. The membership list should also indicate the name of the Chairperson and any exceptions. Exceptions will need to be placed on the Board of Trustees agenda for the May 8, 2010 meeting.
- The Call for Nominations has gone out for elections. Nominations must be submitted online by Wednesday, April 21, 2010. Encourage your colleagues to run. The Senate needs a minimum of two (2) nominees for each position just in case the election winner cannot serve in the Fall semester.
- Board of Trustees Chairman, Karl Krapek, responded to President Barrington’s letter that resulted from the February 8, 2010 Senate resolution. However, Chairman Krapek’s response essentially ignored the content of the letter and confused CCSU’s concerns with those of SCSU. President Barrington will re-write and resend the letter.
2. Minutes of March 8, 2010: Motion to approve, Senator Glagovich (Passed)
a. Academic Standards (J. Mulrooney)
- Senator Mulrooney presented the committee report. He explained that the revisions clarified standards for the Nursing program that had been developed in 2005. There were no questions. Report PASSED.
b. Curriculum Committee (P. Karpuk)
- Senator Karpuk
- reviewed curriculum revisions from the April 7, 2010 report.
- highlighted the clarified procedure for [d] designated course applications.
- answered questions regarding the report.
- Report PASSED.
c. Sabbatical Leave Committee (M. Beck)
- Senator Beck summarized the brief report. There were no questions. Report PASSED.
d. Student Affairs Committee (L. George)
- Senator George introduced the first part of the report. She discussed the revisions to the Committee’s By-laws. That document had not been updated since 1970. The revisions have been referred to the Committee on Committees.
- Susan Sweeney, Associate Director of Student Activities, presented the second part of the report. She provided to the Senate a list of clubs that were being heralded for their activities.
- Scott Hazan, Director of Student Activities, presented part three of the report. He summarized membership and activity levels for student organizations.
e. Academic Integrity Committee (A. Pozorski)
- A. Pozorski delivered the report. A lively discussion ensued.
- MOTION: Refer back to committee – Senator Wood. PASSED.
4. Unfinished Business:
- Professor Spector presented the proposed revisions and answered questions.
- MOTION TO DIVIDE THE QUESTION INTO PART 1 [All sections except 3.8 to 3.10] and PART 2 [Sections 3.8 to 3.10]. – Senator Mulrooney. PASSED.
- MOTION TO ACCEPT CHANGES TO PART 1: PASSED.
- MOTION TO ACCEPT CHANGES TO PART 2: PASSED.
- A. Alling, Chief Human Resources Officer, will inform the Senate if the changes to sections 3.8 through 3.10 do not coincide with the CSU-AAUP/BOT Contract or other official documents.
5. New Business:
- a. Chief Financial Officer: Update (L. Wilder)
- L. Wilder, Chief Financial Officer, provided an update on state of the University’s financial position and answered several questions. (http://web.ccsu.edu/upbc/BudgetData.htm)*
- Nominations are due by Wednesday, April 21, 2010.
- Motion to adjourn made by Senator Best (Passed)