CCSU Faculty Senate
Minutes—February 22, 2010
VAC 105 3:00 PM
Note: Senate Constitution, Bylaws, Meeting Dates, Agenda and Minutes are posted on the CCSU Pipeline under Faculty Resources/Faculty Senate.
Next Meeting of the Faculty Senate is on March 8, 2010, 3pm, Vance.
Present: Abadiano, H., Alewitz, M., Ayalon, A., Barr, B., Barrington, C., Bernstein, S., Bigelow, L., Bigley, M.P., Bishop, R., Button, C., Cohen, S., Crespi, C., DelAma, J., Delventhal, T., Dobler, E., Eustis, K., Foshay, J., Hermes, K., Hicks, L., Horan, M., Iglesias, E., Jarmoszko, T., Kapper, M., Karpuk, P., Kurkjian, K., Larsen, K., Latour, F., Leake, M., Lisi, P., Mamed, O., McCleary, B., Mendez-Mendez, S., Mione, T., Mitchell, M., Mulrooney, J., O’Connor, J., Osoba, B., Park, M., Percy, V., Petkova, O., Pirog, K., Poirier, K., Poppe, K., Ratansi, S., Sanders, D., Sarisley, E., Sikorski, J., Sims, D., Stankewicz, K., Tomoda, S., Vogeler, R., Wang, W., Wood, R., Woronecki, S., Wright, E.,
Ex-Officio: Lovitt, C., Shojai, S., Sakofs, M., Pease, S., Lemma, P.
Parliamentarian: Dimmick, C.
Guests: Jones, J.
a. AAUP President (J. Jones)
- President Jones announced the following:
- Please look at the most recent email from CSU AAUP president Dave Walsh which discusses the dismal budgetary outlook for the State.
- Thursday, March 4 is the AAUP breakfast with state legislators.
- February 25 is the CCSU AAUP sponsored basketball games and social.
b. SUOAF-AFSCME President (F. Bonvicini)
- No report.
c. President of the Senate (C. Barrington)
- President Barrington made the following announcements:
- Currently, two campus-wide open forums concerning the New Time Blocks for Spring 2011 are scheduled for Tuesday, 2 March 10:00-10:45 and Wednesday 3 March 4:00-4:45. If you represent a department or division with continuing concerns about the schedule, please make certain someone represents those concerns at one of these two forums.
- President Miller and I will continue the Presidential Open Forums this spring. The first is set for Wednesday, 24 February at 11:00 am; the second is set for Tuesday, 6 April 2010 at 3:30 pm. Both will be held in the Connecticut Dining Room.
- The Board of Trustees’ February 10 meeting that was scheduled to meet on our campus was converted to a teleconference because of the threatening bad weather. Thus, I was unable to present the Senate Resolution. I did, however, mail a letter with the resolution to Chairman Krapek, and I sent copies to the other 17 trustees, as well as Governor Rell and Commissioner Meotti of the Department of Higher Education. Additionally, I will address the BOT at their next open meeting on 8 April at SCSU. I have yet get a response from anyone. Once I do, I will report it back to you.
2. Minutes of 2/8/10 were moved for approval by Senator Alewitz. (Passed)
a. Registrar: MyEdu.com:
- S. Petrosino discussed the request from MyEdu for information and outlined the guidance given to the Registrar for the dissemination of the information. A number of questions were asked by senators. The membership expressed concern and wanted further inquiry into costs and the methods of supplying the information. It was agreed that once a reply was received and reported to the senate, a decision would be made at that time if a task force would be necessary.
b. Excellence in Teaching Committee:
- O. Petkova discussed the process used in 2009, problems encountered and possible solutions to committee work. Suggestions were made regarding committee by-laws. These issues were referred to the Senate Committee on Committees and the Elections Committee for analysis and resolution.
4. Unfinished Business:
5. New Business:
a. Textbook Task Force:
- Provost Lovitt discussed an initiative to study ways to help reduce the financial burden on students in acquiring textbooks. He asked for three faculty representatives to serve on the task force which would have a short time line for completion. The following senators volunteered:
- K. Larsen
- T. Delventhal
- J. Sikorski
- Senator Mulrooney moved to adjourn. (Passed)