CCSU Faculty Senate
Minutes—November 9, 2009
VAC 105 3:00 PM
Note: Senate Constitution, Bylaws, Meeting Dates, Agenda and Minutes are posted on the CCSU Pipeline under Faculty Resources/Faculty Senate.
Next Meeting of the Faculty Senate is on November 23, 2009, 3pm, Vance.
Present: Alewitz, M., Anderson, C., Ayalon, A., Barr, B., Barrington, C., Bernstein, S., Bigelow, L., Bigley, M.P., Button, C., Crespi, C., Czyrnik, K., DelAma, J., Delventhal, T., Dziuda, D., Eustis, K., Foshay, J., Gigliotti, G., Hensley, P., Hermes, K., Horan, M., Iglesias, E., Kapper, M., Karpuk, P., Kurkovsky, S., Larsen, K., Latour, F., Laurent, L., Leake, M., Love, K., Mamed, O., Mione, T., Mitchell, M., Mulrooney, J., O’Connor, J., Osoba, B., Petkova, O., Pirog, K., Ratansi, S., Reagan, T., Sarisley, E., Sikorski, J., Sims, D., Spector, D., Stankewicz, K., Tomoda, S., Vincenti, M., Wang, W., Warshauer, M. Wood, R., Zidani-Eroglu, L.,
Ex-Officio: Sakofs, M., Pease, S.
Parliamentarian: Dimmick, C.
Guests: Pettinico, N.
a. AAUP President (J. Jones)
- No announcements
b. SUOAF-AFSCME President (F. Bonvicini)
- No announcements.
c. President of the Senate (C. Barrington)
- President Barrington announced that she had written and sent a letter to Mayor Blumberg of NYC as the Senate had requested.
2. Minutes of 10/26/09 were moved for approval by Senator Reagan. (Passed)
a. Elections Committee:
- Senator Foshay reported the results of the Fall 2009 Election.
- Promotion and Tenure, Full Professor, Business: David Fearon
- Promotion and Tenure, Full Professor, SEPS: Cathy Kurkjian
- Promotion and Tenure, Full Professor, At-Large: Rae Schipke
- Promotion and Tenure, Associate Professor, Arts and Sciences: Sally Lesik
- Promotion and Tenure, Associate Professor, Engineering and Technology: James Mulrooney
- Advisory Committee on Academic Advising, Arts and Sciences: Guy Crundwell
- Advisory Committee on Academic Advising, Business: Joseph Farhat
- Advisory Committee on Academic Advising, Engineering & Technology: James Mulrooney
- Advisory Committee on Academic Advising, SEPS: Joan Nicoll-Senft
- CSU Trustees Research Award, Full Professor, Business: Daniel Miller
- CSU Trustees Teaching Award, At-Large; Maria Passaro
- CSU Trustees Teaching Award, At-Large; Olga Petkova
- Senator Karpuk reviewed program and course changes, additions and revisions.
4. Unfinished Business:
a. Task Force on Child Care at CCSU:
- President Barrington announced the committee co-chairs, Leah Glaser and Beth Merenstein and charged the task force with the following:
- To establish a timeline for reporting to the Senate, to include 1 years goals, 2 year goals etc. and,
- To look at funding options and make recommendations for implementation.
b. Constitution and By-Laws Revision
- Discussion: Senator Mulrooney moved that the Senate go into quasi-committee of the whole to engage in discussion of rationale of the review. (Passed)
- President Barrington took a straw poll to determine the Faculty Senate’s preference on addressing the report. The Senate chose to address individual items of interest.
- Senator Spector answered questions concerning 2.10.1 and 2.10.2.
- A discussion of 3.1.2 concerning eliminating the 1 to 1 correspondence between member and alternate, and treating alternates as a pool of alternates was moved by Senator Reagan and approved.
- Further suggestions were made and passed on to the Committee.
- Return to regular session.
5. New Business:
a. CCSU Foundation Board of Directors:
- N. Pettinico addressed the request for the Senate to elect a faculty member to the Board.
- After considerable discussion on the Board’s membership requirements, Senator Wood moved to commit this to the Elections Committee.
- Senator Spector moved to amend the motion as follows: The Elections Committee send out a call to all faculty for nominations and conduct an election in the Senate in two weeks. The amendment (Passed)
- The motion to commit to the Elections Committee as amended (Passed).
- Senator Mulrooney moved to adjourn. (Passed)