Minutes - December 7, 2015 - 3:05pm
CCSU FACULTY SENATE MEETING
Present: Anderson, C.; Andreoletti, C.; Arena, J.; Bantley, K.; Baratta, C.; Bilisoly, R.; Bishop, J.; Button, C.; Callery, T.; Cistulli, M.; Clapp, S.; D'Addio, D.; Dukes, C.; Emeagwali, G.; Emiliani, B.; Flinn, B.; Foster, P.; Fothergill, W.; Gamache, J.; Garcia-Bowen, M.; Ghodsi, R.; Grasso, L.; Gross, S.; Hamilton, H.; Harris, D.; Hernandez, J.; Horan, M.; Jackson, M.; Kapper, M.; Karpuk, P.; Kean, K.; Kim, Y.; Kotowicz, T.; Koulidobrova, H.; Larsen, K.; Latour, F.; Lim, K.; Mamed, O.; Martin-Troy, K.; Martin, M.; Mejia, G.; Moffo Simpson, T.; Nelson, W.; Ngazimbi, E.; Paolino, J.; Pearson, F.; Phillips, E.; Pozorski, A.; Ragusett, J.; Rice, T.; Rudzinski, H.; Sadanand, N.; Santoro, K.; Simmons, R.; Styrczula, S.; Sweeney, D.; Watson, S.; Williams, C.; Wolff, R.; Wood, R.
Ex-officio: Adair, S.; Alfano, M.; Colwell, K.; Fitzegrald, G.; Lovitt, C.; Malhas, F.; Miller, J; Pease, S.
Parliamentarian: Dimmick, C.
President of the Senate: Cohen, S.
Guests: Paul Petterson (VP, CCSU-AAUP); T. Rein (Anthropology)
- Approved unanimously
a. AAUP President (P. Petterson for M. A. Mahony)
- Paul Petterson thanks those who attended the rally, and encourages faculty members to attend President Ojakian's visit on December 9 from 2 to 3pm, at as well as the Chapter Meeting and holiday social, on December 9, from 3 to 6:30pm.
- BOR meeting recordings are available on CT-N.
- Faculty members are reminded that the Listserv is public.
b. SUOAF-AFSCME President (C. Dukes for L. Bigelow)
- The holiday social was today.
c. SGA (F. Latour read an e-mail from C. Fox, who sent her regrets)
- The rally at the BOR meeting went relatively well. Many students and faculty came out for it and they know that we are not going to let this stand. Students are preparing for Ojakian's visit on the 9th and have already begun to brainstorm questions for him.
- Thank you all for a productive semester, and good luck with finals!
d. FAC to the Board of Regents (S. Adair)
- No announcements.
e. President of the Senate (S. Cohen)
- Faculty members should read the FAC report to the BOR.
- President Ojakian will be in Alumni Hall on Wednesday, December 9.
3. Committee Reports
a. Curriculum Committee (M. Jackson)
- Senate President Cohen asked whether every CSU has to approve a pathway before it goes to the BOR? FAC representative Adair said that the BOR claims the ability to approve a pathway if there is "enough agreement".
- Report approved unanimously
4. Unfinished Business
a. Online learning implementation committee: Online course cap proposal
- The motion that was on the floor when this item was postponed to this meeting was: To amend the motion by striking the part of the first paragraph that comes after "40" and by strking the second paragraph.
- Senators spoke of concerns about approving a permanent increase in the cap for non-pedagogical reasons, and of the need to see solid research on the effectiveness of online learning.
- Other senators spoke of a need to increase our online course offerings, considering that the BOR might be interested in centralizing such courses at Charter Oak.
- Motion to amend approved. 32 senators in favor, 21 opposed.
- Motion (Martin-Troy/Kapper): To add a paragraph at the end of the current text: "It is understood that all online classes at CCSU will be taught by CCSU faculty at their own discretion."
- Motion to amend approved. 1 senator opposed.
- Main motion approved as amended. 36 senators in favor, 14 opposed.
5. New Business
- Undergraduate (Deans Pease, Colwell, Alfano, Malhas)
- Graduate (Dean Fitzgerald)
- Approved unanimously
- The meeting adjourned at 4:20pm.