Minutes - February 22, 2016 - 3:05pm
CCSU FACULTY SENATE MEETING
Present: Adair, S.; Anderson, C.; Baratta, C.; Bartone, M.; Best, F.; Bilisoly, R.; Bishop, J.; Boscarino, N.; Callery, T.; Chakraborty, S.; Cistulli, M.; Collins, M.; D'Addio, D.; Doolittle, W.; Emiliani, B.; Fafunwa-Ndibe, S.; Foshay, J.; Fothergill, W.; Gamache, J.; Garcia-Bowen, M.; Ghodsi, R.; Gross, S.; Hanford, D.; Harris, D.; Jackson, M.; Kapper, M.; Karpuk, P.; Kean, K.; Kim, Y.; King, A.; Kullgren, A.; Larsen, K.; Latour, F.; Lim, K.; Mahony, M. A.; Mamed, O.; Martin-Troy, K.; McGuire, M.; Mejia, G.; Mendez-Mendez, S.; Moffo Simpson, T.; Mongillo, M.; Ngazimbi, E.; Paolino, J.; Phillips, E.; Pozorski, A.; Prozzo, J.; Ragusett, J.; Rice, T.; Sadanand, N.; Santoro, K.; Simmons, R.; Siporin, R.; Spear, E.; Strickland, A.; Styrczula, S.; Sweeney, D.; Williams, C.; Wolff, R.; Wood, R.
Ex-officio: Adair, S.; Fitzgerald, G.; Malhas, F.
Parliamentarian: Dimmick, C.
President of the Senate: Cohen, S.
Guests: Monique Durant (Accounting); Caroline Fox (SGA); Zdzislaw Kremens (Academic Affairs)
- Approved unanimously
a. AAUP President (M. A. Mahony)
- Nominations are now open for AAUP Council representative; they close on March 1 at 3pm. The election will be after Spring Break.
- The Chapter Meeting will be on February 23 in the Marcus White Living Room, at 3:15pm.
- CSU-AAUP Lobby Day will be on Tuesday, March 8, from 8:30am to 12:30 or 1:00pm.
b. SUOAF-AFSCME President (O. Mamed for L. Bigelow)
- SUOAF-AFSCME will meet on March 17, at noon, in the Constitution Room.
c. SGA (C. Fox)
- February is the time to apply for SGA scholarships: about $20,000 in scholarships available for students. There are scholarships for study abroad, and community engagement. Let your students know.
- The SGA elections will be held soon; faculty members should encourage students who might be interested to run for an SGA position.
d. FAC to the Board of Regents (S. Adair)
- Thomas Bailey, the Director of the Community College Research Center at Columbia University (CCRC), will be the keynote speaker at the FAC's conference at Housatonic Community College.
- The money for Transform CSCU 2020 has been completely reallocated: $8 million to community colleges, $10 million for developmental education, and $2.5 million for outcomes-based financing.
- There are many bills that we need to watch for, including bills to promote online, open-source textbooks, and SARA, which would make it harder for us to reject questionable credits from online institutions.
- There will be two presidential searches (CCSU and SCSU); President Ojakian has been encouraging about faculty input in these searches.
e. President of the Senate (S. Cohen)
- Chairs of Standing Committees of the Faculty will be asked to report in the next four meetings.
3. Committee Reports:
a. Curriculum Committee (M. Jackson)
- Motion: To approve the Curriculum Committee report, with the exception of the admission requirements from 3.3 and 3.4.
- Approved unanimously
4. New Business:
a. Further discussion - BOR contract proposals
- The meeting adjourned at 3:41pm.