Minutes - October 26, 2015 - 3:05pm
CCSU FACULTY SENATE MEETING
Present: Adair, S.; Anderson, C.; Andreoletti, C.; Antonucci, C.; Arena, J.; Bantley, K.; Best, F.; Bigelow, L.; Bilisoly, R.; Bishop, J.; Boscarino, N.; Button, C.; Callery, T.; Cistulli, M.; Clapp, S.; D'Addio, D.; Dharavath, N.; Emeagwali, G.; Emiliani, B.; Flinn, B.; Foster, P.; Gamache, J.; Garcia-Bowen, M.; Ghodsi, R.; Grasso, L.; Gross, S.; Hamilton, H.; Harris, D.; Horan, M.; Jackson, M.; Johnson, D.; Kapper, M.; Karpuk, P.; Kean, K.; Kim, Y.; Kotowicz, T.; Koulidobrova, H.; Kullgren, A.; Latour, F.; Lim, K.; Mamen, O.; Martin-Troy, K.; Martin, M.; Mejia, G.; Moffo Simpson, T.; Mongillo, M.; Nelson, W.; Ngazimbi, E.; Paolino, J.; Phillips, E.; Pozorski, A.; Rice, T.; Rudzinski, H.; Santoro, K.; Simmons, R.; Spear, E.; Strickland, A.; Sweeney, D.; Watson, S.; Williams, C.; Wolff, R.; Wood, R.
Ex-Officio: Fitzgerald, G.
Parliamentarian: Dimmick, C.
President of the Senate: Cohen, S.
Guests: Caroline Fox (SGA); Phil Halloran (P&T Chair); Paul Petterson (VP, CCSU-AAUP); Thomas Rein (Anthropology)
- Approved unanimously
a. AAUP President (P. Petterson for M. A. Mahony)
- Faculty members are encouraged to wear red in support of the negotiating team.
- Faculty members are encouraged to read Table Talk, which comes out on Mondays and provides information about the contract negotiations.
b. SUOAF-AFSCME President (L. Bigelow)
- Contract negotiations will begin on Monday.
- Members should attend the meeting on November 3.
- Members are encouraged to wear red on Thursday and to stand in solidarity with AAUP members.
- The new member luncheon is on November 23.
- It has been decided that, for purposes of computing longevity eligibility, all employment with the state (including as student worker, for instance), counts towards calculating the date an employee was first hired.
c. SGA (C. Fox)
- SGA encourages students to wear red on Thursdays, and it is hoped that many students will participate in the rally this week.
- SGA has passed a resolution in support of syllabus language about sexual assault. SGA hopes that the Faculty Senate will consider this resolution.
d. FAC to the Board of Regents (S. Adair)
- The BOR met on October 15. The meeting included an executive session to name a new community college president and to discuss collective bargaining.
- Some members of the legislature are pushing for outcomes-based financing for CSCU and UCONN.
e. President of the Senate (S. Cohen)
- There will be a Presidential Forum (with President Miller) on October 29, at 3:30pm.
3. Committee Reports
a. Elections Committee - election of a part-time AAUP member of the University Planning and Budget Committee
- David Johnson elected to the committee
- Some senators pointed out that, even though it seems that the DECs approved every candidate who applied, in reality, there are candidates who did not apply for promotion even though they were eligible. In addition, some candidates were denied renewal of their contract before they could apply for tenure. It would be useful to have data about how many candidates were eligible for promotion versus how many applied, and on renewals.
- Some senators said that it would be a good idea to have a place where all past Promotion and Tenure Committee reports can be found.
- Senator Latour pointed out that, even though this report does not contain information about how many candidates of each ethnicity were approved or denied for promotion or tenure, the 5-year aggregate report mandated by the P&T committee bylaws is due this year, and it should contain this information.
b. Promotion and Tenure Committee (P. Halloran)
4. New Business
a. Approval of one new member of Steering Committee
- Senator Bishop added to the Steering Committee
b. Constitution and Bylaws Committee - Senate bylaws amendment proposal
- Approved unanimously
- Senator Kean left the meeting at this point.
- Senators discussed: the need to look for codewords in the BOR language ("reasonable flexibility", "fiscal responsibility"); the fact that the proposed removal of the language about the expectation that there will be promotions every year reminds us of the year 1975-76, where the BOT decided to not award promotions; that it might be useful to have letters from accrediting agencies about the effect that the proposals would have on our accreditation; that Senators should support Campus Equity Week; that there is no fiscal crisis at the CSUs.
c. Further discussion - BOR contract proposals
- The meeting adjourned at 4:30pm.