Minutes - September 14, 2015 - 3:05pm
CCSU FACULTY SENATE MEETING
Present: Anderson, C.; Andreoletti, C.; Antonucci, C.; Baratta, C.; Bilisoly, R.; Bishop, J.; Button, C.; Callery, T.; Chakraborty, S.; Cistulli, M.; Clapp, S.; D'Addio, D.; Dharavath, N.; Emeagwali, G.; Flinn, B.; Foster, P.; Fothergill, W.; Garcia-Bowen, M.; Ghodsi, R.; Grasso, L.; Hamilton, H.; Harris, D.; He, F.; Horan, M.; Jackson, M.; Johnson, D.; Karpuk, P.; Kean, K.; Kim, Y.; Kostelis, K.; Kotowicz, T.; Koulidobrova, H.; Kullgren, A.; Larsen, K.; Latour, F.; Lim, K.; LoGiudice, S.; Mamen, O.; Martin-Troy, K.; Martin, M.; McGuire, M.; Mejia, G.; Mendez-Mendez, S.; Moffo Simpson, T.; Mongillo, M.; Nelson, W.; Ngazimbi, E.; Paolino, J.; Pearson, F.; Phillips, E.; Pozorski, A.; Ragusett, J.; Rudzinski, H.; Sadanand, N.; Simmons, R.; Spear, E.; Strickland, A.; Styrczula, S.; Sweeney, D.; Tellier, A.; Thornton, E.; Williams, C.; Wolff, R.; Wood, R.
Ex-Officio: Adair, S.; Fitzgerald, G.; Lovitt, C.; Mahony, M. A.; Malhas, F.
Parliamentarian: Dimmick, C.
President of the Senate: Cohen, S.
Guests: Phil Halloran (Mathematical Sciences); Yvonne Kirby (OIRA); Paul Schlickmann (Director of Athletics); Catherine Thomas (Nursing); Cindy White (EIT committee)
- Approved unanimously
2. Introduction of Senators
a. AAUP President (M. A. Mahony)
- The first meeting of the departmental AAUP liaisons will be on Wednesday and Thursday at lunch time. Contact Michelle Malinowski for more information. You should make sure that your liaison knows about the meeting and plans to attend.
- On September 29, at 3pm, in the Connecticut Room, there will be a renewal workshop. The focus will be on first-year renewals, but other faculty members who need to apply for renewal are welcome to attend.
- The first chapter meeting is on October 2, at 10am, in the Marcus White Living Room. We hope to have the administration's proposals by then.
- The AAUP filed a successful grievance regarding the inclusion of a summary of qualifications of promotion and tenure candidates, which the BOR requested last year.
b. SUOAF-AFSCME President (O. Mamed for L. Bigelow)
- SUOAF-AFSCME are encouraged to participate in the contract negotiations surver. The negotiation will begin in October.
- There are 8 new members; all are vacancy refills (no new positions).
- The e-board meeting will be on Thursday at 11:30am in the Blue and White Room, and the social will be on September 22.
c. SGA (C. Fox)
- The SGA is in the process of filling student seats on Standing Committees of the Faculty.
- Encourage your students to vote in SGA elections, September 28 through 30, on Collegiate Link.
- The Red Flag Campaign is a campaign against domestic violence. There will be posters on campus, and there will be two speakers.
d. FAC to the Board of Regents (S. Adair)
- Ojakian becomes BOR President on September 28.
- Faculty members of the former Transform CSCU 2020 Steering Committee asked the BOR to create a new faculty advisory committee on strategic planning.
e. Community Engagement Committee (R. Simmons)
- There will be a workshop on community engagement and service learning on October 14. See the flyer for details.
f. Excellence in Teaching Committee (C. White)
- There will be a report on faculty participation in the EIT award competition soon.
- Faculty should encourage students to nominate faculty members for the EIT award.
- Faculty are encouraged to participate if they are nominated, especially part-time faculty.
- AAUP President Mahony asked why faculty members who do not submit documents are excluded from the Honor Roll. Answer: That is required by the bylaws of the committee.
- Senator Karpuk asked how we can encourage students to nominate faculty without appearing to be "fishing" for nominations. Answer: A standard announcement will be provided to faculty.
g. President of the Senate (S. Cohen)
- Future meetings will be held in Vance 105, but today's meeting is in the Nutmeg Room because the President's Office has provided us will food and drinks.
- At the next meeting, there will be an election to replace Burlin Barr as VP of the Senate. Nominations will be open until Friday, September 25, 5pm. Please send nominations and statements to the President and Secretary of the Senate, and they will be posted on the Senate website.
4. Election of Elections Committee
- Senators Baratta, Bilisoly, D'Addio, Foster, Kullgren and Nelson were elected to the committee.
5. Committee Reports
a. University Planning and Budget Committee (K. Martin-Troy)
- Senator Jackson asked about the Bachelor of General Studies proposal. Shouldn't this be submitted to the Curriculum Committee? Answer: It will eventually be submitted to that committee.
6. New Business:
a. University Athletics Board runoff election
- David Harackiewicz versus Kimberly Kostelis
- The election was conducted, and Kimberly Kostelis was elected to a one-year term on the committee.
- President Cohen, Secretary Latour, and Senators Cistulli, Foster and Kean will be members of the Steering Committee.
b. Approval of Steering Committee
- Approved unanimously
d. Correction to bill FS.14.15.034B
- The special election provision for the Termination Hearing Committee is for the Spring 2016 election, not Spring 2015 (otherwise the provision makes no sense).
- Approved unanimously
7. President’s Report (S. Cohen)
- President Cohen spoke of several issues that the Senate might face this year, including a proposal to revise the first-year experience program, a Bachelor of General Studies proposal, a proposal for 120-credit BSED programs, an online learning policy proposal, and responding to the Provost's remarks from the opening meeting.
- The meeting adjourned at 4:04pm.