Immigration regulations change or are modified periodically. Please keep in touch with International Student and Scholar Services at the Center for International Education for up-to-date information. Immigration regulations can also be viewed at USCIS.


Visa Options at CCSU

Below are visa categories that are commonly used by International students and scholars at Central Connecticut State University.



Visa Chart

Visa Type
Study Requirements
Employment Restrictions
F-1 Student Visa

Maintain full-time study.

Part-time only with approval from CIE.

On Campus: Work 20 hours during the semester, 40 hours during vacation.

May participate in CPT (Full time or part time). Authorization is required.

May participate in OPT during or after end of program-apply through USCIS-EAD card required.

Severe Economic Hardship-apply through USCIS-EAD Card required.

F-2 F-1 Dependent Spouse: Can study part time in any certified program; full time in a vocational or recreational studies, such as hobbies are permitted.
Not permitted to work.
J-1 Exchange Student Full time enrollment.

Work 20 hours during the semester, 40 hours during vacation.

May participate in off campus work-Academic Training. Authorization is required.

J-1 Exchange Scholar Full time research/incidental study

Options are limited with prior approval from Responsible Officer (RO).

J-2 Exchange Student Dependent May engage in part- or full-time study. Eligible to work - EAD required through USCIS.
B1/B2 Visitor Visa May not begin any ‘Course of Study’ (F/T or P/T) unless approved by USCIS. Not permitted to work.
H-1B Work Visa May engage in incidental study Work only with sponsoring organization
H-4 H-1B Dependent May engage in full time or part time study Not permitted to work.