Curricular Practical Training (CPT) Extension

Immigration permits lawful F-1 students the opportunity to gain practical work experience during their degree program and in their major field of study. This experience is called Curricular Practical Training (CPT). CPT must be approved by the Immigration Specialist at the Center for International Education (CIE)) and must be an integral part of the student’s curriculum. In order for off campus work to be considered as CPT, credit hours are required either through the Center for Advising and Career Exploration (CACE) or an internship credit through the student’s Academic Department.


Eligibility Requirements:

You must have:

Required documents to be submitted to the CIE:

No coursework is required in conjunction with full-time CPT. Part-time coursework may be taken. If CPT is part time, additional coursework will be required. Immigration permits full-time CPT of less than one year. Use of one year or more eliminates eligibility for Optional Practical Training (OPT, post-completion year of work authorization).

CPT/Internship/Co-Op authorization by the Immigration Specialist is required prior to commencement of employment.