Summer Music Institute 2014
Carlotta Parr, Director
Lauren Bilello, Coordinator
This marks the 30th year of our Summer Music Institiute (SMI)! Glenn Chandler founder SMI in 1984 to provide professional development for music educators and other musicians through a variety of graduate classes. The Summer Music Institute is also the primary venue for our Master's degree program that offers a unique blend of theory and practice, focus and versatility. In 1992, Pamela Perry took over the reins as Director of SMI, and served in this capacity until 2010. In honor of the vision and work of these two directors, works have been commissioned and will be premiered on July 9th! The University Singers will perform the choral work composed by Ysaye Barnwell, and dedicated to Dr. Perry. Instrumental students from the Department of Music will perform the chamber work composed by Brian Kershner and dedicated to Dr. Chandler. An electro-acoustic musical Entrada, composed by Charles Menoche, will also be premiered. Join us at the reception on the 9th to celebrate these directors and hear these new works. Please let us know you will be joining us. To register for the celebration, please click here.
We hope you will also participate in one or more of our course offerings, which offer hands-on experiences, practical teaching techniques, and stimulating dicussions among collegues. Participants may apply to the Masters in Music Education program, and earn a degree in four summers.
Our faculty members are nationally renowned and they and have SMI have received accolades from previous participants such as these:
- "Top notch, nationally known clinicians are gems!"
- "Terrific comprehensive masters program."
- “Very practical and applicable classes with fun and friendly professors constantly keeping your classroom needs in mind”
- "The CCSU Summer Music Institute is a wonderful challenge for music educators with friendly faculty and staff, and great courses."
- "Very refreshing to have an adult class at an adult level with direct relevancy to bringing students of all ages to full competency."
- “Great way to earn credits to increase your pay while meeting great people and learning new gems for your classroom."
- "Short term learning that lasts a lifetime!"
- "Recharge your musical battery at SMI!"
Central Connecticut State University (CCSU) is located in the heart of Connecticut, affording participants from across the country numerous cultural and recreational opportunities while they are in the area. The capitol city of Hartford is nearby and offers many points of interest including the Wadsworth Atheneum and the Mark Twain House. Within easy driving distances are New York City, Boston, Cape Cod and other beaches, and the Norfolk and Tanglewood Music Festivals. We are confident that your summer experiences at CCSU will be rewarding. Please call or write for further information.
Telephone: (860) 832-3317
Mailing address: SMI 2014 c/o Dr. N.Carlotta Parr, Music Dept., Central Connecticut State University,
1615 Stanley Street, New Britain, CT 06050-4010.
Register early! All participants who register before May 16th are eligible for weekly drawings for an Jawbone External Speaker!
Central Connecticut State University is a campus of the Connecticut State University System and is an AA-EO institution.