Summer Music Institute 2019
Carlotta Parr, Director
Melanie Lawson, Coordinator
This marks the 35th year of our Summer Music Institute (SMI)! This institute provides professional development for music educators and other musicians through a variety of graduate classes. Courses offer hands-on experiences, practical teaching techniques, and stimulating discussions among colleagues. There are several new courses and this summer that are balanced with tried and true courses and professors from recent years. You do not have to be in our Master’s program to enroll in our elective courses!
The Summer Music Institute is also the primary venue for our Master’s degree program that offers a unique blend of theory and practice, focus and versatility. Participants may apply to the Master of Science in Music Education program, and earn a degree in four summers.
All of our faculty members are nationally renowned, and SMI participants repeatedly give accolades for the program and faculty such as:
- "Expert teachers with professionalism and passion for their art and teaching."
- "Terrific comprehensive masters program."
- "Very practical and applicable classes with fun and friendly professors constantly keeping your classroom needs in mind."
- "The CCSU Summer Music Institute is a wonderful challenge for music educators with friendly faculty and staff, and great courses."
- "Very refreshing to have an adult class at an adult level with direct relevancy to bringing students of all ages to full competency."
- "Great way to earn credits to increase your pay while meeting great people and learning new gems for your classroom.
- "Short term learning that lasts a lifetime!"
- "Recharge your musical battery at SMI!"
- "Top notch, nationally known clinicians are gems!"
- "For me, this is the single best path to a graduate degree."
Central Connecticut State University (CCSU) is located in the heart of Connecticut, affording participants from across the country numerous cultural and recreational opportunities while they are in the area. The capitol city of Hartford is nearby and offers many points of interest including the Wadsworth Atheneum and the Mark Twain House. Within easy driving distances are New York City, Boston, Cape Cod and other beaches, and the Norfolk and Tanglewood Music Festivals. We are confident that your summer experiences at CCSU will be rewarding. Please call or write for further information.
Telephone: (860) 832-3317
Mailing address: SMI 2018 c/o Dr. N. Carlotta Parr, Department of Music, Central Connecticut State University, 1615 Stanley Street, New Britain, CT 06050-4010.
Register early! All participants who register before May 15th are eligible for weekly drawing for a Jawbone External Speaker!
Central Connecticut State University is a campus of the Connecticut State University System and is an AA-EO institution.