Summer Music Institute 2016
Carlotta Parr, Director
Lauren Bilello, Coordinator
This marks the 32nd year of our Summer Music Institute (SMI)! This institute provides professional development for music educators and other musicians through a variety of graduate classes. Courses offer hands-on experiences, practical teaching techniques, and stimulating discussions among colleagues. The Summer Music Institute is also the primary venue for our Master's degree program that offers a unique blend of theory and practice, focus and versatility. Participants may apply to the Masters in Music Education program, and earn a degree in four summers.
There are several new courses and clinicians this summer that are balanced with tried and true courses and professors as well as favorite courses and professors from recent years.
All of our faculty members are nationally renowned, and SMI participants repeatedly give accolades for the program and faculty such as:
- "Excellent faculty, teaching very current skills and content."
- "Terrific comprehensive masters program."
- "SMI courses refresh my passion for teaching with new ideas and innovations in the field of music education."
- "The CCSU Summer Music Institute is a wonderful challenge for music educators with friendly faculty and staff, and great courses."
- "Very refreshing to have an adult class at an adult level with direct relevancy to bringing students of all ages to full competency."
- "Great way to earn credits to increase your pay while meeting great people and learning new gems for your classroom."
- "The best place in the area to continue your music education learning!"
- "Recharge your musical battery at SMI!"
- "Top notch, nationally known clinicians are gems!"
- "For me, this is the single best path to a graduate degree."
Central Connecticut State University (CCSU) is located in the heart of Connecticut, affording participants from across the country numerous cultural and recreational opportunities while they are in the area. The capitol city of Hartford is nearby and offers many points of interest including the Wadsworth Atheneum and the Mark Twain House. Within easy driving distances are New York City, Boston, Cape Cod and other beaches, and the Norfolk and Tanglewood Music Festivals. We are confident that your summer experiences at CCSU will be rewarding. Please call or write for further information.
Telephone: (860) 832-3317
Mailing address: SMI 2016 c/o Dr. N. Carlotta Parr, Department of Music, Central Connecticut State University, 1615 Stanley Street, New Britain, CT 06050-4010.
Register early! All participants who register before May 16th are eligible for weekly drawing for an Jawbone External Speaker! Central Connecticut State University is a campus of the Connecticut State University System and is an AA-EO institution.