Educational Benefits

Note: If you're planning to apply for additional financial aid beyond veterans or military benefits we highly recommend to contact the Financial Aid Office for assistance. For students who are being DEPLOYED, please contact the Office of Veterans Affairs as soon as possible at 860.832.AVET (2838) with a copy of deployment orders. A "Leave of Absence" without penalty will be processed. If you have questions regarding educational benefits, visit for more general information.

Benefits Programs

Below you will find the Federal educational benefit programs available to veterans, dependents, and selective reservists:

The Post- 9/11 GI Bill ® (CH33)

The Post 9/11 Veterans Educational Act of 2008 program provides up to 36 months of educational benefits. This benefit may be used for degree and certificate programs, flight training, apprenticeship/on-the-job training and correspondence courses. Remedial, deficiency, and refresher courses may be approved under certain circumstances. Generally, benefits are payable for 15 years following your release from active duty.

Based on your length of active duty service, you're entitled to a percentage of the following:

- Cost of tuition and fees, not to exceed the most expensive in-state undergraduate tuition at a public institution of higher education (paid to school);

- Monthly housing allowance* equal to the basic allowance for housing payable to a military E-5 with dependents, in the same zip code as your school (paid to you);

- Yearly books and supplies stipend of up to $1000 per year (paid to you); and -A onetime payment of $500 paid to certain individuals relocating from highly rural areas.

*Note: The housing allowance and books and supplies stipend are not payable to individuals on active duty. The housing allowance is not payable to those pursuing training at half time or less or to individuals enrolled in distance learning (payable only at 7 credits or more). Individuals are limited to a maximum of 48 months of entitlement when using benefits under two or more programs (i.e. 30, 31, 32, 33, 35, 1606, and 1607). Individuals eligible under chapter 30 who elect to receive benefits under chapter 33 are only entitled to the number of months they had remaining under chapter 30 (including any revoked months of transferred entitlement) up to a maximum of 36 months).

Tranfer Benefits to Dependents - Click Here

  • VA form 22-1990 - New applicants or
  • VA form 22-1995 - Change of program or place of training
  • DD214 (Member 4 copy) or NOBE
  • Transcripts from all other colleges

Yellow Ribbon Program

The Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program (Yellow Ribbon Program) is a provision of the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008. This program allows institutions of higher learning (degree granting institutions) in the United States to voluntarily enter into an agreement with VA to fund tuition expenses that exceed the highest public in-state undergraduate tuition rate. The institution can contribute up to 50% of those expenses and VA will match the same amount as the institution.

Please remember that you must be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill ® (CH33) at the 100% rate to be considered for the Yellow Ribbon Program.

Tranfer Benefits to Dependents - Click Here

Transfer Benefits to Dependents

Montgomery GI Bill

Click Here

Active Duty (Ch 30)

The MGIB program provides up to 36 months of education benefits. This benefit may be used for degree and certificate programs, flight training, apprenticeship/on-the-job training and correspondence courses. Remedial, deficiency, and refresher courses may be approved. Your benefits are payable for 10 years following your release from active duty.


Buy Up Rates
Some service members may contribute up to an additional $600 to the GI Bill to receive increased monthly benefits. For an additional $600 contribution, you may receive up to $5400 in additional GI Bill benefits. The increased benefit is only payable after leaving active duty, and the additional contribution must be made while on active duty. For more information contact your personnel or payroll office.


  • VA form 22-1990 - New applicants or
  • VA form 22-1995 - Change of program or place of training
  • DD214 (Member 4 copy) or NOBE
  • Transcripts from all other colleges

Selected Reserve (Ch 1606)

The MGIB-SR program may be available to you if you are a member of the Selected Reserve. The Selected Reserve includes the Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve and Coast Guard Reserve, and the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard. This benefit may be used for degree and certificate programs, flight training, apprenticeship/on-the-job training and correspondence courses. Remedial, deficiency, and refresher courses may be approved under certain circumstances.


  • VA form 22-1990 - New applicants or
  • VA form 22-1995 - Change of program or place of training
  • DD214 (Member 4 copy) or NOBE
  • Transcripts from all other colleges

Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP)

REAP (Chapter 1607 of title 10, U.S. Code) is a new education program that provides up to 36 months of education benefits to members of the Selected Reserves, Individual Ready Reserve (IRR), and National Guard, who are called or ordered to active service in response to a war or national emergency, as declared by the President or Congress.

Buy Up Program
Some reservists may contribute up to an additional $600 to the GI Bill to receive increased monthly benefits. For an additional $600 contribution, you may receive up to $5400 in additional GI Bill benefits. You must be a member of a Ready Reserve component (Selected Reserve, Individual Ready Reserve, or Inactive National Guard) to pay into the "buy-up" program. For more information contact your personnel or payroll office.



  • VA form 22-1990 - New applicants or
  • VA form 22-1995 - Change of program or place of training
  • DD214 (Member 4 copy) or NOBE
  • Transcripts from all other colleges

Survivors' & Dependents' Educational Assistance Program

Dependents' Educational Assistance provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of certain veterans. The program offers up to 45 months of education benefits. These benefits may be used for degree and certificate programs, apprenticeship, and on-the-job training.



  • VA form 22-1990 - New applicants or
  • VA form 22-1995 - Change of program or place of training
  • Birth certificate or marriage certificate
  • Transcripts from all other colleges

Connecticut State Veterans Tuition Waiver

Connecticut Flag

CT State Veterans Tuition Waiver


1) 90 days active duty (active duty for training not applicable). Please see dates below for specified times.
2) Honorable discharge from the U.S. Armed Forces.
3) Copy of Member-4 of DD-214 (with required dates of service).
4) Be a matriculated student (officially accepted to the University through the Office of Recruitment and Admissions). Eligibility ceases upon withdrawal, dismissal, and/or graduation.

General Information:

- All below campaigns and inclusive dates are designated by Connecticut General Statutes, and are subject to change or amendment by the Connecticut General Assembly, and subsequent authorization by Resolution from the Connecticut State University Board of Trustees to the four constituent university campuses: CCSU, ECSU, SCSU, and CCSU.
- Applicable General Fund tuition and appropriate Extension Fund course fees waiver eligibility becomes effective with authorization from the Connecticut State University Board of Trustees, and is not retroactive to any billing period prior to that authorization.
- Veterans who initially qualify for the in-state CT tuition waiver at the time of admission may opt to attend either full time or part time. The tuition portion of the tuition and fees bill is waived for full-time students; other applicable fees must be paid each semester. One-half of the per credit courses fees is waived for part time students to include summer, winter and intersession courses as provided for in a CSU Board of Trustees resolution. The registration fee and other applicable fees must be paid each registration period.
- Responsibility for payment of other charges such as student fees, course fees, room and board, and books remains with the student. Arrangements for payment of those balances should be addressed with the Office of Bursar (full-time students).
- CT Tuition Waivers are granted only to those veterans who served "on active duty" and not those who served "on active duty for training."
These requirements also apply to transfer students who may have received the tuition waiver at another Connecticut state institution.



Specified War Times

A. Active duty for at least 90 days during :
KOREAN HOSTILITIES - June 27th, 1950 to January 31, 1955.
VIETNAM - December 22, 1961 to July 1, 1975 (any child of a Vietnam - era veteran who has been declared a MIA/POW also is eligible, provided the parent entered service after January 1, 1960).
OPERATION DESERT SHIELD, DESERT STORM, IRAQI FREEDOM - beginning August 2, 1990 and ending on the date thereafter prescribed by Presidential proclamation or by law.
OPERATION IRAQI FREEDOM - Members of a military Reserve or National Guard unit who have either been called to active duty or expect to be called to active duty in support of Operation Enduring Freedom, Operation Iraqi Freedom, and Operation Noble Eagle should contact the Office of Veterans Affairs at the above number. This includes members of the Connecticut National Guard called to active duty.
B. Engaged in combat or in a combat support role in the :
PEACE KEEPING MISSION IN LEBANON - September 29, 1982 to March 30, 1984.
GRENADA INVASION - October 25, 1983.
OPERATION EARNEST WILL (escort of Kuwaiti oil tankers) - February 1, 1987 to July 23, 1987.
PANAMA INVASION - December 20, 1989 to January 31, 1990.
In the above instances, the veteran must also provide documentation of expeditionary service in the specific location and of the unit or ship during the specified time period, or of the V.A. rated disability.
C. Active Duty for service in the locations of :
SOUTH KOREA - demilitarized zone after February 1, 1955.
SOMALIA - after December 2, 1992.
BOSNIA - after December 20, 1995.

For additional information:

Army & Air National Guard Tuition Waiver

The Army & Air National Guard Tuition Waiver is granted to part-time and full-time graduate and undergraduate students who are members of the Connecticut National Guard and attending the Connecticut State University System. The National Guard Tuition Waiver request forms and paperwork are available through your unit. Eligible students must apply through their unit each semester. Out-of-state students who enroll in the Connecticut National Guard also receive this waiver.

- The National Guard tuition waivers are sent directly from the National Guard to the Central Connecticut State University Office of Veterans Affairs.
- You cannot receive National Guard Chapter 1606 Montgomery G.I. Bill benefits if you are not actively serving in a Guard unit.
- No fees are waived.


CT Army National Guard
Education Service Office
(860) 524-4820

Veterans Educational Assistance Program

Chapter 32, VEAP is available if you first entered active duty between January 1, 1977 and June 30, 1985 and you elected to make contributions from your military pay to participate in this education benefit program. Your contributions are matched on a $2 for $1 basis by the Government. This benefit may be used for degree and certificate programs, flight training, apprenticeship/on-the-job training and correspondence courses. Remedial, deficiency, and refresher courses may be approved under certain circumstances.


Veteran Readiness & Employment (Ch 31)

The Veteran Readiness & Employment Program (VR&E) Program is authorized by Congress under Title 38, Code of Federal Regulations, Chapter 31. The mission of VR&E is to help veterans with service-connected disabilities to prepare for, find, and keep suitable jobs. Also, Veteran Readiness & Employment Program Service provides vocational-educational counseling to veterans and certain dependents. VR&E can provide a wide range of vocational and educational counseling services to service members still on active duty, as well as veterans and dependents who are eligible for one of VA's educational benefit programs.


Advance Payment Request

Advance payment request for new, returning, or transfer students may only be requested for Chapter 30, Chapter 1606 & Chapter 1607, and only if this is your first semester attending school, or if you are transferring from another college to CCSU. Veterans who choose not to request advance payment, can tentatively expect to receive the first payment from between 30-45 days after all your paperwork has been submitted & certified by the VA Certifying Official.

Please be sure to notify the CCSU Office of Veteran's Affairs of any changes, with regards to your name, address, or telephone number. (Changes submitted to the VA Regional Office will NOT update CCSU VA files).

Note: Advance payment must be requested (30) thirty days prior to the first day of the semester. Keep in mind that you will receive your advance the month school starts, but your next check will not be received until 2 months later.

VA Work Study Program

If you're a full-time or 3/4-time student in a college degree program, or a vocational or professional program, you can "earn while you learn" with a VA work-study allowance. The VA work-study allowance is available to students studying under the following programs: Chapters 30, 32, 33, 35, 1606, and 1607. You'll earn an hourly wage equal to the Federal minimum wage or your State minimum wage, whichever is greater.

Services you perform under a VA work-study program must be related to VA work. Examples of acceptable work are: processing VA paperwork at schools or VA offices, performing outreach services under the supervision of a VA employee, and/or performing services at VA medical facilities or the offices of the National Cemetery Administration. The work you actually do will depend on your interests and the type of work available.

For forms and information, one or more of the following offices or representatives can assist you: any VA regional office, any VA office or Vet Center, local representatives of veteran’s organizations, or Reserve Education and Incentives Officers.


Important Information for Students

Policies and Guidelines for Educational Benefits

Continuation of VA Benefits

Due to the high volume of Requests for Certification each semester, all veterans are encouraged to submit both their Student Educational Program Plan (SEPP) and Request for Enrollment Certification as soon as possible, in order for the VA Department to review all paperwork before certifying the request. If you are continuing student, take advantage of the early enrollment period. The earlier you submit your request, the sooner you will be processed for your benefits. Also, note that CCSU cannot guarantee when you will receive your benefits. Be advised that multiple class changes may cause delays inprocessing your request.

Extending your VA Benefits

If you are using either Chapter 30 or Chapter 35 benefits, you may be able to request an extension of your benefits. You can submit a written request for an extension of your VA benefits to the VA Regional Office.

Non-Required Courses

The Veterans Administration will pay only for required courses listed on your Educational Plan. These approved courses must meet the minimum requirements for graduation established by the CCSU.

Standards of Satisfactory Progress

Students who do not maintain satisfactory progress for two (2) consecutive semesters will not be eligible for any further certifications of Veterans Benefits, unless the student elects to sit out the third semester without receiving benefits while completing 67% of the attempted units with a C or better in all of the classes.

"INC" and "NCR" Grades

If you have received an "INC" or Incomplete for a class, please note that you will have one (1) year to complete the course before the VA may charge you with an overpayment. You are responsible to notify the CCSU Office of Veteran's Affairs when the course grades change from an "INC" to a letter grade on your transcript.


Veterans' educational benefits are subject to termination if the student has been on academic probation for more than two consecutive terms.

Dual Major

Dual majors or a major and minor are not allowed by the VA in any degree AA/AS, BA/BS transfer, or certificate programs. The VA will only certify for one major and for one degree at a time.


If you do not attend are not entitled to benefits. If you stop attending a class, you must drop officially and report the drop to the Office of Veterans Affairs. This is one of your responsibilities. Federal law requires that students report any change in enrollment status, which might affect VA educational benefits to the school and the VA. Students who receive a grade of "F" for non-attendance may be charged with an overpayment by the VA. Failure to drop a class can result in overpayment of benefits.

Note: Although the Office of Veterans Affairs monitors student attendance, it is imperative that you report any changes to your enrollment to the Office of Veterans Affairs IMMEDIATELY. When there is an overpayment, the VA will withhold future payments, or ask for repayment of the overpaid benefits. Depending on the situation, they can take you to court, charge interest, as well as withhold future tax refunds, attach wages, put a lien on property or deny home loans.

Minimum GPA Requirements

Students on VA educational benefits (veterans, reservists and dependents) must maintain satisfactory progress. This is a VA requirement. If the student on VA benefits falls below a 2.0 GPA over two consecutive quarters, this is reported to the VA as unsatisfactory progress and benefits are suspended. To reinstate your benefits, you must complete one quarter with a 2.0 or higher GPA.

Concurrent Enrollment
Please visit the Office of Veterans Affairs if you are enrolled concurrently at another college/university.

Repeated Courses

The VA WILL NOT pay for repeat courses, unless to complete a major requirement where an F was earned. No class where A, B, C or D grades were earned may be repeated for VA purposes. (Letter grades of "A", "B", "C" or "D" are considered to be successfully completed for VA purposes). Students WILL NOT be paid to repeat a course successfully completed due to academic renewal purposes. Exception: Some courses require a specific minimum grade for successful completion or transfer.

Veteran Education Benefits are certified on a semester basis.

Auditing and Correspondence Courses

Audited courses and correspondence courses do not count as part of your course load in qualifying for benefits.

Status Change

If you change from full-time to part-time status you must file this change with the Office of Veterans Affairs.

Process of Applying for Veterans Educational Benefits

1) File an application for educational benefits with the Department of Veterans Affairs (

If you have received benefits at a previous school, you must submit a "Request for Change Program or Place Training" form (VA form 22 - 1995). If you have NEVER used your benefits before you must submit an "Application for Education Benefits" (VA form 22 - 1990) along with your DD-214 and/or your "Notice of Basic Eligibility" (DD form 2384, if a National Guardsmen) and a copy of your contract if you are eligible for the college fund (kicker) to the Buffalo VA Regional Office (Department of Veterans Affairs Regional Office, 130 South Elmwood Avenue, Buffalo, NY 14202).

Chapter 35 will file VA form 22-5490, Application for Survivors' and Dependents Educational Assistance. Chapters 30, 32, 33, 1606, and 1607 will file VA form 22-1990, Application for Educational Benefits. Students applying for chapter 31 will need to contact the Vocational Rehabilitation representative for authorization to receive benefits. As an activated reservist, if you attain eligibility to change from Ch. 1606 to Ch. 1607 (REAP), please complete VA form 22-1995.

2) Once accepted to CCSU, you must submit a copy of your DD-214 and/or N.O.B.E. and a copy of your VA Certificate of Eligibility to the Office of Veterans Affairs, located in Willard-DiLoreto Hall, Room D201.

Note: Dependents do not file a DD 214 but you must have your father's social security number to apply for benefits.

3) Once you are registered for classes and have applied for your veterans education benefits, you must contact the Office of Veterans Affairs, Chris Gutierrez, 860-832-AVET (2838) or, for an enrollment certification to be submitted to the regional office.

Veterans are certified only for those classes that are required for their degree program. It is your responsibility to take at least 12 hours of degree required courses to qualify for full-time benefits (9 hours is considered full-time for graduate study). If you take less than 12 hours, you should make sure that all courses are required in your program. Audited courses and correspondence courses do not count as part of your course load in qualifying for benefits. If you change from full-time to part-time status you must file this change with the Office of Veterans Affairs.

Note: Certify your enrollment to the regional VA Office for processing can initially take up to 12 weeks.

Student Responsibilities

All students receiving Veterans Educational Benefits are required to comply with all applicable Federal Regulations and all Institutional Policies and Procedures.

It is the student's responsibility to request certification every term. Certification is not automatic. All enrollment changes such as Add/Drop or Withdrawals, Switching Courses, etc. MUST be reported to the Office of Veterans Affairs immediately. The Veteran Services Office will review enrollment to ensure it meets the requirements set forth by the VA.

To change a major/goal, the student must meet with academic advisor to develop a new program evaluation. Changes to a student's major/goal will delay certification and payment. Coursework for the new major will not be certified until the new program evaluation is completed and on file at the Office of Veterans Affairs. It is the student's responsibility to meet with an academic advisor as early as possible to avoid delay in payment. The VA will make the final approval on all educational goal changes.

All students must complete the matriculation process, which includes placement testing for assessment in Math and English.

All official transcripts must be requested and sent from all schools previously attended before a program evaluation can be completed. Educational Benefits will not be authorized until all official transcripts have been submitted and a program evaluation has been completed by CCSU.

Credit for Military Service:
You may be eligible to receive college credit(s) by providing Central Connecticut State University Admissions Office with your official Joint Service Transcript (JST) or Community College of the Air Force (CCAF) Transcript.

Your JST or CCAF documents the number of potential college credits the American Council on Education (ACE) recommends for your military training, education and occupational experiences. The primary purpose of the JST and CCAF is to assist service members in obtaining college credit for their military experience if applicable.

 The JST is for the following branches:

  • Army
  • Marines
  • Navy
  • Coast Guard

 The CCAF is for the following branch:

  • Air Force
  • Air Force Reserve
  • Air National Guard


To request your official JST, Joint Service Transcripts (JST), Click Here

To request your official CCAF Transcript, Community College of the Air Force Transcripts (CCAF), Click Here

Once you request your official JST or CCAF transcript be sent, Central Connecticut State University will evaluate the college credit recommendations on your transcript to determine the amount of transfer credit you have earned.  This credit can be used for requirements for a specific major, general education or electives.

Receiving Benefits

Verification of Enrollment
Everyone receiving MGIB - Active Duty benefits, as well as those in the Selected Reserve, must verify his or her enrollment each month to receive payment for that month. Your enrollment can be verified on the last calendar day of the month using the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) at or by calling the toll-free Interactive Voice Response (IVR) telephone line at 1-877-823-2378. (Chapter 35 students do not need to do the W.A.V.E)

Students must be currently enrolled in an approved educational program and must have a current benefit award to use WAVE. The WAVE system permits students to perform a multitude of functions. For instance, students may:
- Verify that their enrollment has not changed
- Report a change in their enrollment
- Change their mailing address
- Initiate or change their direct deposit information
- View their enrollment period
- View their monthly rate
- Sign up for a monthly e-mail reminder

Students can only "phone in" (1-877-823-2378) their monthly verification if there are no changes to the enrollment during the previous month. If there were changes in the enrollment the student must use the WAVE system or speak with a benefits counselor at 1-888-442-4551.


Students receiving Chapter 30, 33, 1606 and1607 benefits have the option to have VA payments deposited directly into a checking/savings account of their choice. Call 1-877-838-2778 to set up an account or to update current direct deposit account information.

VA Benefit checks are sent directly to the address the student indicated on the VA application. Payment is based on the dates the required class meets. The VA will automatically pay students for all payable reaks between regular quarters unless the veteran student states in writing that they want no pay break. Payment of benefits usually occurs between the 1st and the 15th of each month and is paid for the previous month. Inquiries may be made directly with the VA at their toll free number 1-888-442-4551.

VA monthly benefits are paid to the student (Chapter 30, 1606, 1607) based on enrolled units or the number of units that apply to the degree objective/goal currently on file. Enrollment categories are as follows:

Standard Term

12 or more units - Full-Time

9 - 11 units - Three-fourth Time

6 - 8 units - Half-Time

1 - 5 units - Less Than Half-Time*

Summer Term

6 or more units - Full-Time

5 units - Three-fourth Time

4 units - Half-Time

3 units - Less Than Half-Time*

*Students enrolled less than half-time will receive benefits for Tuition and Fees only.

Apply for VA Educational Benefits Online

Click Here to Apply for VA Educational Benefits Online

Verify School Attendance

Click Here to Verify

Payment Rates

Click Here for Payment Rates

What Benefit is Best for Me?

Click Here to Learn about Benefits


CCSU Veteran Support Point of Contacts

Student Affairs
Mr. Ramon Hernandez

Financial Aid Office
Ms. Sarah Leone

Recruitment & Admissions
Mr. Larry Hall

Bursars Office
Mr. Craig Schnur

Graduate Recruitment & Admission

Career Success Center, Explore Central
Mr. Paul Rossitto

Disability Services
Ms. Surbhi Patel

Counseling & Wellness Center
Mr. Jonathan Pohl

Registrar's Office
Ms. Rebecca Pickering

Veterans Affairs
Mrs. Melina Lopez

VA Services

VA Regional Office

Veteran Affairs Medical Center

Vets Center

Suicide Hotline

Wave Automated Verify Enrollment

Health Benefits Provided by VA

VA Benefits


Useful Websites

VA Education and Training Benefits

Student Veterans of America
(202) 470-6100

Defense and Veterans Brain Injury Center

Operation Vets

National Center for PTSD

National Archives

How to Obtain Your DD-214